May 30, 2013

Toolbox Interview to Jim King: Legendary Career Transition of a BI Blogger


Check the full content below:

In 2012, Toolbox gained a new business intelligence blogger,datakeyworld. He offers insight into all sorts of topics pertaining to data in his blog Data Analytics. Don’t miss out on the valuable content he provides or a sneak peek into his life…

I’m a BI execution consultant and also a father. Many people say that I do a better job for the latter one.

I was a programmer before 2001. I participated in my first BI project to establish decision-making support system for one of Fortune Global 500 enterprises in 2001. I was the team leader at that time and this project was very successful. From then on, I focus on BI industry. Time is flying; I have worked in this field for 12 years. Every New Year, I’ll have a party with the NCR \Cognos\ICBC colleagues who participated that project. Even, I successfully escaped from the prediction of Mayans (Joking).

At present, I provide BI consulting service for several enterprises and provide solutions specifically for large-scale BI projects. But currently, my interest is gradually shifting to “Desktop BI” and the main customer is Raqsoft. Since their concept is the same with mine: business man does the business intelligence.

What’s your favorite part of blogging for Toolbox?

Discussing the topics I’m interested with real BI experts is the driving force of my blogging for Toolbox. I found many real BI experts with profound thoughts on Toolbox. They help me to improve my views continuously or tartly note my mistakes. Sometimes, especially the latter found the flaws from my “perfect contention”, which surprised me. Just as the saying goes, birds of a feather flock together.

How do you develop the ideas for your Data Analytics blog posts?

I find inspiration from my work and then I ponder over, decompose, test and verify my ideas,   disrupt and overthrow them. When I feel “It’s great and all logics point toward it”, I’ll write it down in one breath. My most commonly considered questions include “what kind of BI tools could integrate cost and efficiency and what parameters influence these tools?”

Are you a night owl or early bird?

I might be a standard night owl. May be this is not good for health. But in my dictionary, health is the compound word of mind, body and sociality, in which the mind has higher weightings. I believe in broadening idea. Obviously, ideas can be widely broadened at midnight.

What is the most challenging part of your career?

I remember that I took my first job in 1999. I ambitiously decided to earn more money for the customers with advanced information technology. But the company I worked for at that time made the customer paid for numbers of price to establish the BI project, which almost didn’t bring any effects. I think this is unfair. But the boss gave me two options: make money or go away. I chose the former.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?

New Zealand! After living in the Northern Hemisphere for 30 years, I want to try the feeling of reversed season. Keeping warm around the fire in August must give me the feeling of “coming to the earth for the first time”. In addition, the air and beach of New Zealand may be the best in the world.

Don't miss out on an insightful blog, Data Analytics!

No comments:

Post a Comment